Wednesday, February 28, 2018

So, put your little hand in mine



Dear Junebug,

Just the other day you were being especially cute. Laughing and smiling and grabbing things, and I thought "what's going on here? she's especially cute today" and then I realized: 6 months. You are six months today. This age is magic. Before I had you and I was around other babies, right around 6 months I'd suddenly be so into that baby. So, I knew there was something about this age. It still didn't prepare me for how cute you are right now.

It's also going so fast. I miss your little newborn quirks. How you were all curled up all the time. Here are some of my memories of you right now:
  • Your laugh is the greatest sound I've ever heard. Although, you are selective in what you find funny. You don't just give those laughs away, you have to find something really funny. Usually me tickling you or you, grabbing your dad's nose hard.
  • You are both incredibly charming and also very discerning. When we are out and people stop to talk to you, you don't smile right away. You wait and decide if you're into it and then you give this incredible smile that lights up your whole face. It's breathtakingly beautiful. 
  • I tried to give you rice cereal. You were not interested. Well, you were interested in grabbing the spoon. That was about it. Next I'll try some avocado. 
  • You rolled off the couch. It was my fault. Just right off the side and when you cried, I cried. Nothing has ever scared me as much as being a parent and you falling off something was a big concern of mine. Your dad is real smug about it. I can't believe I was the first to drop you. 
  • You still sleep in the bassinet by my side of the bed. I'm just going to wait until you tell me you want to go in your own room. Hopefully when you are 25. 
  • You are suddenly interested in all your toys. When I read you books you get so excited. It's like a whole new world just opened up. 
  • This time last year you were this little thing in my belly. You didn't seem real. And now we go on walks, all bundled up, and I tell you about how I used to talk to you when I was on my walks while I was pregnant. I would say things like "next year you'll be able to see these mountains and see Utah turn green and blooming again! You'll be able to watch BBC shows with me all day while it snows!" and now that's real. It's like a dream come true.
  • Speaking of dreams coming true: St Patrick's day is coming. I'M SO EXCITED TO HAVE YOU HERE FOR IT I CAN'T EVEN.
  • At night I still reach over into the bassinet and you put your little hand around my finger. It's the best feeling in the world.
  • Some days I feel like I've got the mom thing down, and other days...not so much. You had a fever last week and it sent me right into a panic. But you are such a good baby. It's like you're being patient with me as I figure this thing out. 
  • Here is what I know about your personality so far: you are observant, independent, and opinionated. You also love to hang out with your dad, just relaxing. You like when I sing you songs and smile at you. Actually, songs and smiling are your favorite things right now. 
You are my favorite thing right now. I love you, bug. 

2 comments:

  1. baby grow up faster than we thought they would be, right?
    My baby, before, he's enjoying sleeping in my arm that I love it,
    now he spends his time playing mudd outside, he's so cute I want to hug him

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete