Saturday, December 31, 2016

Bon Année 2017


Another year gone by! James and I went to our favorite Chinese restaurant last night and completed our New Year's "Year in Review". We loved looking back at our answers from last year, so we are thinking we've started a new tradition. Here is our 2016 year in review:

1. What was your favorite book you read this year?
J: The Story But barely, I didn't read very much this year...
B: The Neapolitan Series, Circle of Friends, and The Rules of Civility. I read a lot this year...

2. What was your favorite  movie/TV Show this year?
B: "Sing Street" and "La La Land", and "The People vs OJ Simpson"
J: "Sing Street" and "Hacksaw Ridge" and "Stranger Things"

B: Ooooh "Stranger things! Forgot about that one! Also, "The Crown" and "Poldark" were also great this year. And Drag-race Allstars! And "Happy Valley"! Ok, I'm done.

3. What was your favorite song/album this year?
B: "WALLS" Kings of Leon and Lemonade.  
J:  "The Greatest" and Sia's whole album.
B: BUT ALSO "Hands to Myself" 'cause we danced the crap out of that one.

J: It's your most listened to Spotify song this year!
B: I know! I laughed so hard when I saw that!

4. What was your favorite moment of this past year?
B: Beyonce concert (when she sang "Countdown"), holding Nolan for the first time, eating fresh oysters with you by the ocean in Seattle as the sun went down.
J: Seattle is a good one! My trip to LA in the summer was awesome, but also anytime we spend the whole day together, just the two of us.
B: ...I put Beyonce first. Is that bad?
J: No, just honest.


5. What was an unexpected challenge?
J: Let's say it at the same time on the count of three
B: haha, Okay!

J: 1...2...3
J & B: THE ELECTION

6. With whom were your most valuable relationships?
J: You and I spent more time with my brothers, which I really liked.
B: You and I focused a lot more on having meaningful, individual relationships with friends and family and it was just perfect! So im'ma keep doing that in 2017.

7. What was your single biggest time waster this past year?
J: Sleeping in too late. This is my second year saying this, so clearly I need to make a resolution.
B: Twitter. Twitter swallowed my brain this year, especially around the election. Never falling down that black hole again.


8. What was the best way you used your time this past year?
J: Learning. I taught myself a lot about creative stuff this year, oh and being creative! 
B: This is so weird but... going on long walks with Caesar. There is nothing better for me mentally or physically. And I kept it up through all the seasons! Turns out we live in an incredibly beautiful place. So maybe, taking time for myself was important this year? Now I feel selfish.

J: You're not selfish, you just really love long walks!

9. What was the biggest thing you learned this past year?
J: I learned how to love you better. I don't want to brag, but I think I am approaching peak husband.
B: Haha! I learned how to let things go and let what will be, be. (Mostly, does anyone ever completely learn this?) But I definitely worried less this year and just did what I needed to do for myself to be happy. 

J: That's so true, we both did a great job of keeping outside stuff from infiltrating our home/happiness.
B: Ooooh, infiltrating-- We protected the castle! The Perry fortress still stands!

10.  Create a motto for 2016:
J: Be yourself.
B: You're never going to go if you don't go now (in other words: stop procrastinating)
Family motto: Perry's: We get the job done.


I know a lot of us are happy the see the back of this year. It reminds me of the Zora Neale Hurston quote: "There are years that ask questions and years that answer." I think this may have been a question year. 


No matter how you feel about 2016, I hope this new year and fresh start bring you happiness-- happiness always. We have a great capacity for love, regardless of the darkness and fear, always find ways to let the light in. 


Because it's the time of year to say it: I am grateful to go through the hard stuff with James. He is my person. I am so beyond grateful to be loved and cared for the way he loves and cares for me. I am the luckiest.


Hope your new year is bright and happy and full of all the things you love best.




2017; I am coming for you. Happy New Year! 

1 comment: