Wednesday, June 29, 2016

My Sister's Son

Dear Nolan,

The night before you were born I slept on the floor of your nursery. While the air-mattress slowly let out air, I thought about you. How you would sleep in this little room with the California Bear flag on the wall and books on the shelves. Books your mom and I read when we were little like you and books that she will read with you for the first time.

I'm so glad you waited 41 weeks to arrive. I think you get your flair for drama from me, no one likes making an entrance more than your aunt. Because you took your time, I got to see my big sis very pregnant, which was just the best thing (she was so mad at you for taking your sweet time). And I got to  be there while we waited in anticipation for you to make your debut. Someday I'll tell you how I ate Burmese food with your mom & dad while we waited for you. How your grandma and I went to see a movie, but couldn't pay attention because we kept checking our phones for updates on you.

By the way, it's never a good idea to see an arty art-house film (The Lobster) while you are anxiously awaiting something. Not even Colin Ferrell's good looks can distract you from those long scenes of ironic music and non-dialogue that is supposed to be thought-provoking. On a related note, don't watch art-house movies or westerns or A River Runs Through It, after a break-up. Just something I've learned along the way that I'm passing on to you. Only comedies or blockbuster's for at least 2 months. Trust me on this. I'm your aunt and I love you and I know these things.

The day you were born a song called "Selah" by Lauryn Hill was stuck in my head all day. The chorus repeats the line "and then he came". After you came a lot of people were waiting to hear the news so my phone and your grandma's phone were ringing like crazy. It reminded me of the bells of the village ringing all day and all night to celebrate the birth of a noble. It's our modern day equivalent of that medieval practice. The most beautiful thing about history, Nolan, is that you learn some things never really change.

I wanted to write you a letter so that you would know a little about the day you were born and how you changed all our lives. The first time I held you I couldn't believe how beautiful you were, you looked so much like your mom's baby picture that used to hang in our hallway. But my favorite moment of the day was seeing you make my sister a mom. She held you and kissed your forehead. She already loved you so much.

You were indescribably loved from the moment you came into the world and I hope you always know that.

Love you always, Aunt Brenna

P.S. As your aunt I promise to do the following things:
-always know the hippest presents to get you for your birthdays
-get you unlimited cotton candy and funnel cakes at street fairs
-support you if you decide you do not like shrimp (your parent's will not like this, but I got your back)
 -make sure you read The Once and Future King
-let you eat only the cheese off your pizza if you so choose
-when you are a teenager you can sleep-in as late as you want at my house
-I promise to teach you butterfly so you can impress the ladies
-if you decide to do athletics, I'll be at every game/meet
-if you decide sports aren't your thing, I'll be there too
-someday when you are the biggest cousin, and I ask you to babysit my babies, I will pay you so much money and get all your favorite snacks
-I promise to get you concert tickets to your favorite band for your 16th birthday
-when you go to your first school dance I will be there to see you off and keep your mom from making you take too many pictures
-when you are rebelling and your parent's are driving you crazy, I will roll my eyes and agree they're crazy, but then remind you of your mom's labor and how uncomfortable you made her for months and how much your parents love you
-I'll be this weird mix of someone just like your mom (same mannerisms, say things like "nip that in the bud", etc.) and someone different from her, it'll be weird for you, but great and familiar all at once
-and I promise to embarrass and love you endlessly until forever

2 comments:

  1. This is a great letter. You're both the very best biological and friend aunt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is perfect. You had me laughing and crying. What a lucky little man to have you for an aunt.

    ReplyDelete