Monday, November 13, 2023

two hands (or 6)

oh Junebug, please take your time with this
there is no rush
big brown eyes and purple glasses and no opinion on your hair
dances and original songs and "listen, dude..."
pick out a poster from the book fair and scrape your knee 
(but no more stitches, I am begging you)
wave goodbye to your friends after school with your pink helmet on
"see you later alligator" to the crossing guard and still reaching for my hand
teach your little brother rock paper scissors in the bath
smash walnuts from the neighbors tree in the backyard
"hey mommy can you help me" and clearing your plate 
leaving your room 100 times each night before bed
only the black dress for church
only the polka-dot rain boots for school
"mommy what day is tomorrow?"
crickets and ladybugs in jars with grass and too-tight lids
jumping as high and as hard as you can on the trampoline at 7:14am
never enough syrup on your waffles
"hey si-wi, pway: fwi-wer" = "hey siri, play: Thriller"
self-portraits on your nightstand and dried corn from the pumpkin patch in all your pockets
my first
my tidal wave
my funny girl
my dream come true
please take your time with this
there is no rush



No comments:

Post a Comment