Wednesday, June 1, 2016

The Neopolitan Novels Review



I just recently finished (yesterday) the last novel in Neapolitan Series by Elena Ferrante. They were very, very good. I should just end my "review" right there because I have nothing to add to what has already been written about them. 

BUT, I made that little graphic with the picture of the the two little girls! I've already invested so much! So, here is my review of the series: 

My Brilliant Friend: The series follows the lives of Lila and Lenu, two childhood friends growing up in post-war Naples. This first novel spans childhood to young adulthood, ending with the marriage of Lila at 16. 

The Story of a New Name: The second book picks up right after Lila's marriage and carries the girls into young adulthood. The two middle novels were probably my favorite of the four. I think this has to do with the fact that this is the phase of life I am currently in, so I am biased. All four novels are stellar.

Those Who Leave and Those Who Stay: The third novel sees the girls through young adulthood and into their late thirties. BOOOOO NINO BOOOOOOOOO. That is all I have to say.

The Story of the Lost Child: The last novel spans mid-life and into old age. And is a beautiful homage to the complexities of lifelong friendship and to a brilliant friend. See what I did there? It's the title of the first book. Get it?

The story is narrated from Lenu's perspective and in memoir format. The novels are about so many things (all the things: knowledge, politics, family, growing up...) but at heart they are about a friendship that endures. I would be amiss if I did not mention female friendship in this review, because the novels pivot around the relationship between these two women. And honestly, lady friendships are the best. So many of my favorite novels are about the relationships between women (sister, mother, friend) and I have added this to my list of must-read novels.

These novels opened my eyes to something: Often when we talk about female friendships we talk about the hard things (competition, pettiness, drama, other slightly offensive terms used to describe friendships between women). Ferrante describes these feelings with perfect clarity BTW. Those emotions are real, I have experienced each of them to varying degrees, but the friendships that have endured for me have endured in spite of those things. And I think that makes them stronger. Maybe it is the complexities of women's relationships with each other that makes them so special. 

(Also, I declare that men are competitive, petty, and dramatic with their friends too. I declare it! So, there's that.)

Relationships from childhood can be especially complex. Life is long, man. There is no moment in a friendship where you reach perfection. Just like a marriage, just like family, there is no end point where you say "Whelp, we are perfect now. Nothing else to do. WE HAVE REACHED PEAK FRIENDSHIP." Relationships change, they evolve, they are supposed to. 

Ferrante expertly navigates the complexities of Lila and Lenu's lives together and apart. And in doing so opens the readers eyes to the complexities of their own relationships. Of the universal truths we all, at one point or another, encounter. Good novels are like mirrors and this one is certainly that. I see myself in these characters, even though our lives are so very different. And on top of that, Ferrante's narration is beautiful.

So, I guess what I am saying is: You should read these books.


Here are a few of my favorite novels or memoirs about female friendship:
1. Little Women: this is my favorite book. Not just on this list. Of all the books, in the world, ever written, this is my very favorite book. It is also a big deal to Lila and Lenu growing up, so that's a nice little tie-in.
2. Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood: Seeing the movie is not the same. Also, the whole series is good, but this is my favorite of them.
3. Circle of Friends: Benny. Eve. Yes.
4. Summer Sisters: The first grown-up, beach read I ever devoured. Judy Blume has had a big impact on my life.
5. Truth & Beauty: So very good. So very, very good.


No comments:

Post a Comment