Wednesday, July 29, 2015

I didn't know my face could do that: My personal photogenic struggle



I've been thinking lately about myself. Because I'm super vain. Just kidding, I am, but this is about something else. I have a hard time with pictures. I have always struggled with it. I mean, the struggle is real. I don't know what happens when a camera is pointed at me. It's like I have a brain aneurism and forget how to be a normal person.

I'm not saying I never take good pictures, I do (see, I am vain. I told you so). I know that. All I'm saying is, you can take a pretty bad picture of me with very little effort. I'm also saying that "pretty bad" can also mean amazingly funny. And for that reason I will be sharing my "best of" weird pictures with you here today.

In the same way I don't understand morning people, I don't understand photogenic people. Like the one I'm married to. I don't think I've ever seen a bad picture of that guy (besides some hilarious pre-teen and puberty shots that I cherish). How? HOW? I attribute my terrible pictures to several factors:

1. I have a very expressive face. It's why I love and relate to Joan Cusack so much. I also have what Amy Poehler and my mom refer to as "crazy eyes" which can sometimes appear lovely and large and at other times straight. up. crazy. town.

2. What I like to call the "over-smile". Which is where I am AGGRESSIVELY smiling for no apparent reason.

3. My ability to make my chin almost entirely disappear. 

No where was my over-expressive face show-cased better than on my wedding day. In my defense, you get about a million pictures taken of you all day, so some are bound to be sub-par. But, these are just crazy town (please note the first picture was taken DURING THE CEREMONY, and the second DURING OUR FIRST DANCE. I mean. What was happening?):

  

And a few more shots of expression gone wild:




Here is an example of the "over-smile", which is my biggest struggle to date when it comes to pictures:

The incredible disappearing chin:


This is one of my fave pictures of James and I. Mostly because we 100% ruined this shot of our friends. #squadgoals




And lastly, here I am as a bridesmaid inexplicably ruining this picture by standing 3 feet away from the next person: 


I guess Beyonce sometimes has this same issue. So...at least I am in good company.

1 comment: