Monday, January 21, 2013

Sundance weekend 2013: I have an unwritten list of activities in my head at all times of things I would like to do before I leave Provo. Sort of a utah bucket list. Things like; see a concert at velour, go to the hindu chalk festival, eat bombay house evryday until I just die from happiness, etc.

One of said activities was go to the sundance film festival, and specifically to see a film and famous person. Preferably Robert Redford. And I would push back his hair and call him Hubble. And things would get real uncomfortable, real fast. If by uncomfortable I mean magical and perfect in every way.

I'm happy to report I accomplished 50% of the above this weekend.







Here's how we did it: we didn't get a pass, it was pretty spur of the moment-- so we really didn't think far enough in advance for that. Plus it's a pretty big chunk of change that we just weren't willing to pay. So we researched a little about the films and where to park ( at Eccles theatre, free parking and a shuttle will pick you up from there and take you wherever you want to go) then just dressed warm and went for it.

We took the shuttle up to Main Street- cause we (I) figured we had a greater likelihood of seeing Robert there. There were a ton of people and the atmosphere is way fun. You never get too cold since you are walking everywhere, and you see a whole lotta black clothes and guys who look like Woody Allen, but who (sadly) are not.

To see a movie without tickets we showed up at the Egyptian theatre at 6pm to get in the wait list line. We waited there for an hour until 7---they don't hand out wait list number until 2 hours before the show. Then we got our numbers 23,24,25,26 and went to eat.

You have to get back to the theatre 30 mins before the show time and we got back around 8:20pm for our 9pm o'clock show. We lined back up by number and waited, making some friends in line who told us stories about how haunted Park City is (thus the glowing orb in all our pictures), I used my teacher voice to tell everyone to get in a single file line #bossy, and we even saw a fight. It was a successful line experience.

At 8:55 they came down and let us know that any number under 35 had a good shot of getting in, we got our cash ready ($15 a ticket, and you must have cash) and...we got in!






We saw "the summit" and I really liked it--a documentary about a 2008 climbing expedition on K2:

So, as you can see, it was a pretty major time commitment to get into a show with out passes. But it was worth it. And although I have no significant celeb sightings to report, I still count the day as a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment